Table of Contents
Plant-Based Sausage and Peppers and Onions
Welcome to Cooking with Friends – a segment on our Modern Aging YouTube Channel! I love to eat and I love to cook wherever I am. I seem to gravitate towards friends who also like to try different foods. We cook together. I ask questions. It is casual as though we are hanging out in their kitchen with them as they cook and we learn how to cook what they are making — today’s fish recipe is Vegetarian Sausage and Peppers and Onions.We will learn some cooking hacks and shortcuts. Of course you can make this recipe with regular sausage as well. Darryle Albert and I met a few years ago filming an episode of House Hunters International (he lives in Germany). We connected on our love for healthy cooking and eating! He lost 70lbs a few years ago and has never looked back!Follow Darryle on Instagram @thoroughdarrylecooksClick if you are interested in trying Beyond Meat Sausage (I also recommend their meat patties hamburger style) or Quorn Meatless Ground “Beef”Here’s the recipe!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Pack of Beyond Meat spicy Italian sausage (Optional any plant based sausage)
- 1 clove garlic
- minced 1 onion, diced
- 3 mixed peppers, sliced
- 1 Tsp of dried mixed Italian herbs
- 1 Tsp of garlic powder
- 1 Tsp of onion powder
- 1 32 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Salt Black pepper
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish, chopped (optional)
- Stir-fry your vegan sausage (sliced or whole, as per your preference) along with one diced onion in some olive oil. I used the Beyond Meat Spicy Italian sausage, but any plant-based meat or protein of your preference will do. When onions are translucent, remove along with the sausage and set aside. Retain any liquid that might have released from Beyond Meat sausages in the skillet.
- Mince a clove of garlic and sautee till golden in olive oil at a low heat. Be certain to stir regularly, as garlic can burn within 10seconds if heat is too high, making it bitter and pungent.
- Saute mixed peppers, sliced into strips, along with another sliced onion.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder or a teaspoon containing a combination of dried thyme, sweet basil and oregano over the skillet. If you’d like some extra spice, add a pinch of paprika, adjusting for your preferred heat.
- When peppers are soft, after approximately 15 minutes, return the set-aside sausage and onions to the skillet and add the diced tomatoes. Mix well, and allow to simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and garnish with freshly chopped, flat Italian parsley or fresh basil.
- Serve with rice, herbed mash potatoes, polenta or over a baked potato, and Bon Appetit!Tags: